Sunday, February 28, 2010

Where is Empathy?

Happy Holi to all reading my post. The festival of colours pretty unique to India is a much-awaited occassion for most youngsters and families.
During my school days this was the most exciting festival for me as well. Time to go crazy with loads of colours, freedom to wet friends with coloured water & loads of sweets from elders for putting a bit of colour on them.

But down the years the charm has slowly passed away. Why?


Simply put, its no more about colours and fun within small groups. Its ended up being a commotion. From morning till evening there is loud disco music playing in every building, as if  there is a dj war going on. It appears as if people who are not allowed to head clubs are taking revenge. Seriously, what has happened to the idea of compassion? What's the deal with loud music and hurtful kerosene, diesel, drain water filled balloons?

At mid-20s if I have to shut my windows to get some peace I wonder what the elderly with weak heart conditions or ill-health have to resort to.

Every festival, marriage celebration, jagratras (night-long singing on loud-speaker in the name of lord) make me wonder if Indians are losing empathy for each other. What is this greed for self indulgence and show?

Will the joy of celebration really be any less if the noise and nuisance be kept in moderation? Where is the Indian culture and civilization heading? Many will say this is influence of the western culture. I am not sure about all the western countries, but as far as my knowledge goes no civilized nation in Europe entertains heart-pounding, ear-bursting music in public. They are played in closed walls of clubs and pubs and people willingly enter such premises to enjoy such atmosphere. I guess Indians are all assumed to be party animals, else you are an outcast, atleast in the metros!

No comments: