Sunday, July 26, 2009

Questions posed on a rainy day!

"Monsoon is the best season in Mumbai" chirped a colleague on a rainy afternoon in July'08. I was just a month old in the city and had seen no other season but monsoon. Truthfully speaking I wasn't enjoying it one bit. Too much mud, water and mess due to rains is all I had in mind.
July'09 I updated my status in network "Love for monsoons is infectious". My non-Mumbaiya friends inquired whats so infectious about it? I harped the same old reason my colleague had given. The weather is coolest during this time of the year and I am simply loving it. Plus, I added my new place on the 11th floor gives me a magnificent view of the rains across the nearby mountains and the inlet of the sea. Secretly, though I am not quite all happy about the rains in Mumbai. Am not saying that the rain gods should shower less in Mumbai.

Am saying the rains are not quite handled well by us, the humans.
To clear up the cloud that I have brought in my writing, I am unhappy about the water clogs and frequent floods in Mumbai. Even before I started living here, every monsoon I used to read and watch water getting filled up in major parts of Mumbai. Its been years since Mumbai has been experiencing these issues every rainy season yet nothing is getting better. How long will the residents not go to work because the road has water high up till their waist. Sure holidays due to rains are enjoyable, but they are shameful as well. I havent gone through the planning of the Mumbai drainage/sewage system but looks like it surely needs a re-vamp.(Please don't plan the re-vamp during the rainy season itself, more dug up roads just mean more trouble) Opening up sewage holes aren't a solution they are creation of another reason for accidental death.
Am not here to blame Mumbai or Mumbai Municipality Corp. There are issues in each of the metros today who are bearer of the growth of our nation. Example: Bangalore's traffic jams which lead to wastage of fuel, energy and time. Delhi's growing crime rate which make it impossible for citizens to think that they are safe even inside their houses. The list can go on and I can create few more blogs on it.
My question is why can't these issues be resolved? What is the government doing to address these issues? How can we be so proud about our GDP rate being X% higher than other developing nations and yet not assure of a healthy living? What am I paying my taxes for?

No comments: