Sunday, August 9, 2009

Fast Forward Generation

Few days back I had a chance to meet an industrialist who made it to the top all by herself. She obliged us by letting us know the story to the top. It was a story of hard-work, patience, insight and much more.

I wouldn't name the industrialist but I would definitely say that she has made something out of her life. She and her husband worked together to build an empire of their own and she didn't hesitate to mention the mansion like house across the beach was the dessert she deserved after 25 years of dedication to their business.

25 years ! That's 2 n a half decades! That's what went over my friend's & my mind. For us, the people of this generation 25 years means the end of life and we are not ready to wait so long for things to happen. We want money, fame, fun, happiness and much much more all very very soon, a total fast forward. We want our set of goals to be achieved in the next 5 years.

Are we in a hurry or were our previous generations too slow?

But the previous generations' successful lot, like this lady doesn't seem to be regretting the slow journey to the top at all. She said she enjoyed every bit of it. Then, why doesn't the entrepreneur of this generation want to make the same slow and steady journey. Doesn't he believe in the story of the turtle and rabbit's race?

It makes me think why are we all so eager to get what we want and that too when we want, so much. Are we over-targeting? Are we victims of today's rat race? I know we are. But we can't stay away from it nor be led by it. I want to strike a balance. But how, when & where is still to be figured out.

You see now I have set another target upon myself ...lol... to figure out this balancing point.

3 comments:

Surya said...

couldn't agree with you more, I guess all of us want instant gratification... much to our peril

Sanjula said...

nicely jotted thoughts... well, in a fast life everyone needs to keep up.. its not our fault, we'll just get left behind that's all... so choice is ours as to how much we want to indulge......

Siddhangank said...

Suri you hit the target... we are impatient, we can't just wait. We want everything now.